As a member of the ROOTS Users Group of Arlington, VA (RUG), we respect your privacy. We want to ensure that you get the information, content and experiences that matter most to you. At the same time, the RUG is committed to protecting the privacy of its members, volunteers and other contacts.
We hold your contact details on file so that we can continue to provide you with support and other services. This includes supplying information about meetings and other events, helping you participate in RUG activities, and obtaining feedback or input from you. Each time you renew your membership, we are required under the new European Union (EU) General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) to obtain a fresh, explicit, consent from you; we are not allowed simply to roll your previous consent forward. We believe that we are currently compliant with the GDPR.
When joining the RUG, renewing your membership, or remaining on the RUG mailing list, you will be requested to read the information below and confirm your consent simply by completing the form on those web pages.
Consent for retention and use by RUG of my personal data
I confirm that I understand and consent to the following:
- My personal data (i.e. name, address, and electronic contact details) will be retained for the purpose of mailing list management. My voluntary consent provides the legal basis for the processing of this data. There is no obligation for me to provide consent, but if I do not then I understand that I cannot be a mailing list subscriber. This means that I will no longer receive the newsletter nor receive reminders by email. However I understand that newsletter issues are available on the RUG website and I can download them from there.
- The controller (the organization responsible for my personal data) is ROOTS Users Group of Arlington, VA. The address in the United States of America is P.O. Box 100082, Arlington, VA 22210-3082. Email is
rug at rootsusers.org
- The RUG does not knowingly process the personal data of minors, and I confirm that I am over 16 years of age.
- My personal data will be held indefinitely while I remain subscribed to the RUG mailing list, and it will be deleted on request, or if my email address ceases to operate, or if the mailing list ceases to exist.
- I understand that I may withdraw my consent at any time, in which case my personal data will be deleted and I will be removed from the mailing list. If I withdraw consent, it will not affect the lawfulness of any processing of my personal data prior to the date of withdrawal. I also retain the right to have full access to my data, to require the RUG to rectify any errors, and to object to any processing that I no longer agree with. All correspondence, including withdrawal of consent, should be sent by email to
rugmembership at rootsusers.org
- My personal data will be retained in confidence by the RUG, and will not be used for any purpose other than what is stated above. Personal data may be processed by a limited number of trusted volunteers (the RUG's Executive Committee) including the RUG's Membership Director. Such trusted volunteers (located in the USA) have committed to handling all personal data in compliance with GDPR requirements.