Note that this page is a work-in-progress...
These are a few programs that the RUG and its members has been following as possible migration paths for your TMG Projects.
The RUG has identified the following programs whose developers have stated that they can import TMG data.
From TMG to History Research Environment (HRE)
Since 2005, experts in different computer fields have begun work on this multi-year project. Most information about the History Research Environment (HRE) is on their website at
http://historyresearchenvironment.org. Click on the "NEWS" link at the top of the page for the latest information. Click on the "ARTICLES" link (and sub-topics below that) for background information about HRE.
- Some Basics
- Not simply a replacement for TMG
- Designed to preserve TMG's special characteristics, including direct import from TMGv9.05 projects, including sentences, flags, etc.
- Extends concepts from TMG to give the researcher more power and flexibility
- Includes concepts to remove the need to use pseudo-persons that some users have introduced into their TMG projects (e.g., ship records, military units, towns and land grants, animal and plant breeding, etc.).
- Some Architectural Plans
- Built on modern technologies that have extremely large installed bases
- FREE and OPEN SOURCE
- Unicode compliant and allows data entry and use with multiple languages
- Executes on Windows, Linux, and Mac computers
- A client-server application that can be used for collaborative research (but the first release may not achieve this objective)
From TMG to Roots Magic
Information about Roots Magic can be found at
http://www.rootsmagic.com/RootsMagic/. Check out their "TMG users have a new home" web page at
You can minimize losses migrating from TMG to RootsMagic: (1) Before importing TMG into RootsMagic, "clean up" TMG, and (2) After importing into RootsMagic, "clean up" RootsMagic. This procedure is outlined in "Moving Data from TMG to RootsMagic" at
From TMG to Family HistorianInformation about Family Historian can be found at
http://www.family-historian.co.uk/. Check out their FAQ for TMG users at
From TMG to LegacyInformation about Legacy can be found at
http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/. Check out their web page about "soon" importing files from TMG at
http://news.legacyfamilytree.com/legacy_news/2014/09/legacy-family-tree-will-soon-import-files-from-the-master-genealogist-software.html. Also check out Genealogy's Star web page about this at
From TMG to ... as "Refugees"
Information about "refugees" examining ALL alternatives can be found at
At the top of the "TMG Refugees" web page are five tabs:
- Features - a check-list feature comparison of TMGv9.05 with some other genealogy software programs, including the above
- Functionalities - important to TMG users
- Software - TMG alternatives
- Our Stories - TMG users explain reason why they are exploring alternatives to TMG and their migration experience (or not).
There is also an email list; information about how to join is at