2017 Topics for RUG Discussion
Although the following are grouped together according to similar topics,
it is not in any order of importance or priority. We will try to answer
and/or demonstrate as much as the following as possible. Of course,
things may go a lot better/quicker with your Participation.
Discussion Items from RUG 2017 Survey
RUG Technical Help
- Provide a place just to answer questions on the RUG website instead of on other forums.
- Be available to answer technical questions about TMG and Second Site.
- Answer technical questions about Windows 10.
- Help with those "little" problems/areas to be fixed/repaired.
- Motivate members to figure out publishing small portions of Project for family members and to preserve it.
- How to use MS Word (and presumably other similar software) to write narratives.
Migration from TMG
- Are other RUG members working with Family Historian as a migration path?
- Migration path to Family Historian from TMG.
- Migration path to Roots Magic from TMG.
- Migration path to Legacy from TMG.
- What other programs are members using for a migration path from TMG?
- Focus on the development of replacement (follow-on) software for TMG.
- Use of DNA in genealogy research.
Moving to new computer.
- Moving TMG and Project data to new computer, especially with Windows 10.
Other User Groups
- Continue to link up with other genealogy software groups - TMG and non-TMG.
Miscellaneous Uses of TMG Tags
- Accessing data formats and topics from non-USA countries and methodology to do so.
- Example of such is USA's "underground railroad" to Canada before and during the USA Civil War.
- More precise data entry for handling LGBTQ individuals.
Backup and Restore Discussion
Note that cloud backup programs (such as DropBox) should NOT
be executing at the same time that you are working in TMG.
- Make a backup of USER Project on one of the RUG member's computers.
- Restore the backup of USER Project on a different RUG member's computer.
- Make a GEDCOM backup of USER Project.
- Restore the GEDCOM backup of USER Project on a different RUG member's computer.
- How do you check for correctness the Restore of a Project that was previously backed up?
Discussion about Photo Exhibits
We will try to performa a "Show-and-Tell" session about entering photo
exhibits into TMG (internal or external?) and getting them to display
properly in TMG itself as well as on web pages generated by Second Site.
Identifying Persons in TMG
How do you search for individuals with certain characteristics related
to their genealogical data? How do you search for individuals with:
(1) no parents, (2) no children, (3) no spouses, and
(4) any combination of these (especially #1 and #2)?
- Identify the earliest and latest births in any given generation.
- Identify the earliest and latest deaths in any given generation.
- Identify everyone who does *not* have a Marriage tag.
- Identify everyone who was born before their parents were married.
- Identify siblings (twins) who were born on the same day, but not marked as "Twins" or "Multiple Births".
Updating TMG Database
One of our members suggested:
I would like to replace (or merge) another "extremely good" database of a
family branch into my current database. And as automatically as possible. But
as simply and accurately as possible.
Working with TMG and MS Excel
Another of our members asked:
What is the best way to use MS Excel as output of TMG?
last updated 16 July 2017 - cgr